[aisle] Help! I'm meeting with Superintendent to fight for my library

Renee Welch rwelch at sd308.org
Mon Oct 5 11:24:03 CDT 2020

We had to fight for our jobs also.  I hate to see anyone else have to go
through it....I started keeping a list of emails with material in case we
had to go through it again. I don't want to overwhelm you so here's just a
few things that may help
Video:
https://rilibraries.org/Overdue

This document from the NYC School Library System will help you articulate
your translation of practice from the library classroom to online learning.
https://nycdoe.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=53070594

Principal’s Know:  School librarians are the heart of the school (Moreillon
& Starrett, 2014) (5:15 min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihGT7LoBP0

School Libraries Matter: The Changing Role of the School Librarian
(Capstone, 2014) (4:45 min.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eilZJp3_h8

And here is something to lighten the mood... a video with Wizard Nick
Offerman explaining why librarians are better than the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7IESxDtn8Y

Common Sense Article: 21st Century Classroom
<http://view.commonsense-email.org/?qs=10d36179384c288a93fad0ce79502aca7c8aea93e7735cdf6530be201be81dfdc86d23f12202ba86f735ecd12b9a36c72c4c613108ba71a5b033c0f81df83e6e3e7c133a7c130b844b4f8e4e43b3d10bd1d99755a4fc240b>

JOB DESCRIPTIONS:

Barb Miller via AISLE <aisle at list.railslibraries.info>
Wed, Feb 5, 11:13 AM
to *Barb*, AISLE-Share:
As district librarian I am responsible for:

   - collection development
   - library budget
   - grant writing
   - summer reading program
   - book fair finances
   - cataloging and processing all library materials
   - professional development for the library paras
   - library curriculum and lesson plans
   - Battle of the Books
   - overseeing how our libraries function within the school community
   - submitting per capita/certification/traffic/etc. reports to the state
   library
   - subbing for the library paras when they are out
   - maintain the library webpage
   - maintain the library Wiki

That's what I came up with off the top of my head; there may be more.
Barb Miller
Learning Resource Center Facilitator
Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C

*“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels
about education.” Harold Howe*

This electronic message (and any associated file
attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please promptly delete this message and notify the sender
by e-mail.
Michelle Harris via AISLE <aisle at list.railslibraries.info>
Wed, Feb 5, 3:33 PM
to *Michelle*, AISLE-Share:
Here's what I typed up a couple of years ago...

Librarian Job Description - Grade School

   -

   Teach 22 classes each week in Library Skills and Technology --keeping
   IEPs, RtIs, health, and CICO information in mind.
   -

   Prep 7 lesson plans weekly (self-created, custom curriculum)
   -

   Choose books for library collection (read reviews, scan catalogs, write
   POs, keep budget, oversee cataloging)
   -

   Collaborate with teachers
   -

   Oversee clerk/volunteers
   -

   Oversee circulation
   -

   Catalog & cover books
   -

   Write grants
   -

   Keep all statistics
   -

   Maintain budgets
   -

   Billing in Skyward, as needed

   -

   2 book fairs/year
   -

   Create & Maintain library website

Tech:

   -

   Daily Chrome help desk
   -

   Catalog all Chromebooks
   -

   Circulate all Chromebooks
   -

   Document tech issues
   -

   Password changes
   -

   Troubleshoot tech problems
   -

   Create new log-ons
   -

   Maintain spreadsheet of password

Extra:

   -

   Building Leadership Team
   -

   Tech Team
   -

   CS First Club (for 4th-6th grade)
   -

   read (so can make recommendations!)

Librarian Job Description - High School

   -

   Available for teacher collaboration or classroom instruction
   -

   Available to individual students for research help
   -

   Choose books for library (read reviews, scan catalogs, write POs, keep
   budget, oversee cataloging)
   -

   Oversee clerk/volunteers
   -

   Oversee circulation
   -

   Catalog & cover books
   -

   Write grants
   -

   Create & Maintain library website

   -

   RAILS liaison

Tech:

   -

   Post photos on school website
   -

   Daily Chrome help desk
   -

   Catalog all Chromebooks
   -

   Circulate all Chromebooks
   -

   Password changes
   -

   Create log-ons
   -

   Troubleshoot tech problems
   -

   Providing tech: projectors, carts, overheads, laptops, easels, etc.

Extra:

   -

   District Leadership Team
   -

   Tech Team
   -

   Yearbook --(online class)
   -

   Junior High Scholastic Bowl coach
   -

   Read (so can make recommendations!)

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:01 AM Seren Conner via AISLE <

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #

Hope it helps!!!
Renee
ReplyReply allForward
<https://www.google.com/gmail/about/policy/>
<https://www.google.com/>

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 10:00 AM Jill Simpson via AISLE <

> Hello to all of you!
>
> I have been told to set up a meeting with our Super to discuss my issues
> with library funding, staffing and support. Is there  anyone who would be
> willing to advise me on this? I'm in need of advice on strategy and reasons
> why our school district deserves at least one MLS.  Feel free to email or
> phone me directly.
>
> Jill Simpson
> High School Library Administrative Assistant
> Indian Creek CUSD #425
> 506 South Shabbona Road
> Shabbona, IL 60550
> jill.simpson at ictwolves.com
> 815-824-2197 x1107
>

> “What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels
> about education.” -Harold Howe

Renee Welch
Bednarcik Junior High <https://www.sd308.org/domain/965>
LRC Director

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library.
The only entrance
 requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson