[aisle] Proactive "Scavenger Hunt" or Activities to Prep for Potential Virtual Learning

Claire Greene cgreene at northbrook28.net
Mon Oct 5 12:35:32 CDT 2020

I feel like I am being loud on the listserv these days, but I do have
something like this--for districts with 1:1 ipads or MacBooks--Keynote has
a very cool feature where you can insert a media placeholder. You choose
whichever icon/image you want to hold a place in the master slide deck, and
then share a copy to each student through Apple Classroom, or as a
hard-copy attachment in Google Classroom. When students open the deck, they
only have to click on the icon and their photo library will open up
automatically to allow them to insert their own image to replace the
placeholder. I used this to have students screenshot features in our
databases I wanted them to hunt for on their own and replace the
placeholder with screenshots of what they found. I've attached my original
file, but the media placeholder feature will only function properly if you
open the file as a keynote, rather than as a ppt or Google slides
presentation.

To do this you would open/create your keynote presentation > Edit Master
Slide (at the bottom the menu on the right side) > Click the blue media
icon at the top and select "photos" to insert your placeholder image >
Click on the image in the slide to select it > Check the box at the bottom
of the menu on the right that says "Define as Media Placeholder."  > Click
"done" on the blue bar st the bottom to exit the Edit Master Slide menu.

You can also do this in Pages, apparently, but I haven't tried personally.

I know very few districts are 1:1 with Apple devices, so I recognize this
will only serve a handful of people. Sorry I don't have anything for
Chromebook folks!

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM Neha Thakkar via AISLE <