[aisle] Nonfiction and Fiction Rooms

Dawn Brunschon dbrunschon at district100.com
Wed Oct 7 08:50:49 CDT 2020

Good  morning collective minds!

I have a building in my district that currently has a primary library and
an intermediate library due to space constraints.  We have the opportunity
to move the primary right next to the intermediate (yes, it was down the
hall before) with a connecting door.  YEAH!  However, the principal would
now like us to make it into a nonfiction room and a fiction room.

My main concern is behavior management.  We have issues with behaviors in
this particular building and separating the teacher and the library
assistant, who will be busy checking out books, is a concern.  But
secondly, I would still keep a primary fiction section and primary
nonfiction section.

This was sent out to the teachers after I convinced him to do a survey.
This was written by a teacher.
Creating a self-esteem safe library spaces for students should be the
focus. Students in grade 3-5 do not always read at grade level and it is
very difficult for them to go select a book that is at their level. A big
part of their hesitation is peer reaction to low level books and another is
the pressure they feel to actually tell us they need a low level book.
Creating a fiction/nonfiction library helps to eliminate the stigma
students have towards reading (at a lower level) and it will help normalize
the fact that reading level abilities vary. In the years I have been an
educator I have seen how reluctant students are to choose wisely (in terms
of book check out) because of the shame they feel in selecting a book below
grade level.

I am very offended and hurt that they think we would ever make our students
feel shame for their reading level.  We have tried very hard to increase
our hi/low book collection and they are shelved with the main collection to
keep this from happening.

Is there anyone else that has two rooms set up this way?  Do you all have
your primary fiction books (picture books, beginning readers, early chapter
books) mixed in with the intermediate chapter books?  Am I looking at this
wrong?  I still feel I need to have a separation between the two age
ranges.  Suggestions?  Thoughts?

Thank you!
Dawn
--
*Dawn Brunschon (she/her)*
*Library/Media Director*

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com
Currently Reading
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[image: Book Cover]
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[image: Goodreads Logo]
<https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>Get
your own email signature
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

--

Pursuant to Illinois’ public records law, this written communication may
constitute a public record which is available to the public and media upon