[aisle] [External] Nonfiction and Fiction Rooms

Rademacher, Kristen rademacher.kristen at marist.net
Wed Oct 7 09:00:04 CDT 2020

Good morning.
Honestly, I love the idea of a fiction room and a non-fic room. I agree this would let kids browse up and below reading levels with ease and might help kids when learning to differentiate between fiction and non-fiction needs and options. Although I am a high school librarian, I have my library set up sort of in this style too.

I also am a mom of a 10 year old and six year old voracious readers who love browsing. The older prefers to look for things that are deemed older (I think he think its cool as well as suited to his tastes) and the younger likes books targeted to his age and grade but also the nostalgia of younger stuff that makes him happy. If they attended your school, having the books separated this way would suit them both and encourage them to explore their curiosities.

I totally understand the idea of a younger library and older kids library and that too has merit. But this idea of fic and non fic libraries is really cool.

Just my two cents.

Kristen Rademacher
Librarian
1 Book 1 Marist Director