[aisle] Nonfiction and Fiction Rooms

Barb Miller bmiller at troy30c.org
Wed Oct 7 08:59:46 CDT 2020

In a previous district we had three collections, primary, elementary, and
middle school. They were shelved separately from each other and each
section had a colored spine label cover to indicate what level it was. The
rule was you could choose books at your current level and from books at
level(s) below you. You could only go up with permission from your teacher
- this allowed us to keep the YA books out of the hands of the accelerated
elementary students.

Barb Miller
Learning Resource Center Facilitator
Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C

*“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels
about education.” Harold Howe*

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:51 AM Dawn Brunschon via AISLE <

> Good  morning collective minds!
>
> I have a building in my district that currently has a primary library and
> an intermediate library due to space constraints.  We have the opportunity
> to move the primary right next to the intermediate (yes, it was down the
> hall before) with a connecting door.  YEAH!  However, the principal would
> now like us to make it into a nonfiction room and a fiction room.
>
> My main concern is behavior management.  We have issues with behaviors in
> this particular building and separating the teacher and the library
> assistant, who will be busy checking out books, is a concern.  But
> secondly, I would still keep a primary fiction section and primary
> nonfiction section.
>
> This was sent out to the teachers after I convinced him to do a survey.
> This was written by a teacher.
> Creating a self-esteem safe library spaces for students should be the
> focus. Students in grade 3-5 do not always read at grade level and it is
> very difficult for them to go select a book that is at their level. A big
> part of their hesitation is peer reaction to low level books and another is
> the pressure they feel to actually tell us they need a low level book.
> Creating a fiction/nonfiction library helps to eliminate the stigma
> students have towards reading (at a lower level) and it will help normalize
> the fact that reading level abilities vary. In the years I have been an
> educator I have seen how reluctant students are to choose wisely (in terms
> of book check out) because of the shame they feel in selecting a book below
> grade level.
>
> I am very offended and hurt that they think we would ever make our
> students feel shame for their reading level.  We have tried very hard to
> increase our hi/low book collection and they are shelved with the main
> collection to keep this from happening.
>
> Is there anyone else that has two rooms set up this way?  Do you all have
> your primary fiction books (picture books, beginning readers, early chapter
> books) mixed in with the intermediate chapter books?  Am I looking at this
> wrong?  I still feel I need to have a separation between the two age
> ranges.  Suggestions?  Thoughts?
>
> Thank you!
> Dawn
> --
> *Dawn Brunschon (she/her)*
> *Library/Media Director*
> *Belvidere CUSD 100*
> *815-547-4362*
> *dbrunschon at district100.com <dbrunschon at district100.com>*
>
> 'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
> you have WebMD?'
>
> Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com
> Currently Reading
> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
> [image: Book Cover]
> [...]

This electronic
message (and any associated file
attachments) is intended only for the use
of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain
privileged or
confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please promptly delete
this message and notify the sender
by e-mail.