[aisle] Nonfiction and Fiction Rooms

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Thu Oct 8 13:58:01 CDT 2020

Dawn - I'm so sorry you were offended by the teacher who wrote about
stigma. I'm sure they didn't mean that you and your staff would shame a
student reading below grade level, but other kids, particularly that
student's classmates, would. We can't be everywhere at all times, and not
all behavior can be monitored. I myself was horror-stricken several years
ago when a student survey indicated that the place in school where the most
bullying occurred was the library! We subsequently beefed up adult presence
there, and there have been no further complaints. I know you can also
arrange things to best serve your students.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 9:25 AM Renee Brown via AISLE <

> [...]
>>> This was written by a teacher.
>>> Creating a self-esteem safe library spaces for students should be the
>>> focus. Students in grade 3-5 do not always read at grade level and it is
>>> very difficult for them to go select a book that is at their level. A big
>>> part of their hesitation is peer reaction to low level books and another is
>>> the pressure they feel to actually tell us they need a low level book.
>>> Creating a fiction/nonfiction library helps to eliminate the stigma
>>> students have towards reading (at a lower level) and it will help normalize
>>> the fact that reading level abilities vary. In the years I have been an
>>> educator I have seen how reluctant students are to choose wisely (in terms
>>> of book check out) because of the shame they feel in selecting a book below
>>> grade level.
>>>
>>> I am very offended and hurt that they think we would ever make our
>>> students feel shame for their reading level.  We have tried very hard to
>>> increase our hi/low book collection and they are shelved with the main
>>> collection to keep this from happening.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone else that has two rooms set up this way?  Do you all
>>> have your primary fiction books (picture books, beginning readers, early
>>> chapter books) mixed in with the intermediate chapter books?  Am I looking
>>> at this wrong?  I still feel I need to have a separation between the two
>>> age ranges.  Suggestions?  Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Dawn
>>> --
>>> *Dawn Brunschon (she/her)*
>>> *Library/Media Director*
>>> *Belvidere CUSD 100*
>>> *815-547-4362*
>>> *dbrunschon at district100.com <dbrunschon at district100.com>*
>>>
>>> 'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor
>>> when you have WebMD?'
>>>
>>> Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com
>>> Currently Reading
>>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
>>> [image: Book Cover]
>>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
>>> [image: Goodreads Logo]
>>> <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>Get
>>> your own email signature
>>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

>>> https://www.aisled.org/

>> This electronic message (and any associated file
>> attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
>> or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
>> confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
>> printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
>> strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
>> please promptly delete this message and notify the sender

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School