[aisle] teaching LGBTQ+ texts in conservative school

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Fri Oct 9 09:05:11 CDT 2020

Hard to respond without knowing what kind of advice she is asking for. If
she's looking to teach about diversity, your school should have some
guidelines somewhere. If she wants some story time offerings that introduce
the subject, there are many options. When in doubt, I choose books where
the LGBT+ issue isn't the topic of the book, but incidental to the story.
Some kids pick up on it (maybe the ones who need it), and for others it
goes over their head. I'm not in my library today, so can't pull things I
know have worked. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking *And Tango Makes
Three* for younger kids, and the most recent *Captain Underpants* for
middle grades. *The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher *is less subtle,
but presents a modern family with two male parents having the same issues
families with heterosexual parents have.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me off list.  Good luck!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Lala Lala via AISLE <

> Hi,
>
> I have a meeting in an hour with a teacher who has asked for advice in
> LGBTQ+ themed texts in our Catholic school.
>
> Do you have advice? And please don't be preachy or judgey- I know that
> some of our dear students identify within the LGBTQ+ community. I'd like to
> ask specifically to those who can relate and have experience. Your advice
> is appreciated.
>

> Thank you!!
>
> Lori
>
> --
> Lori McGreal
> Trinity High School librarian
> lmcgreal at trinityhs.org
> 1-708-453-9340

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School