[aisle] teaching LGBTQ+ texts in conservative school

Walsh, Michelle mwalsh at d57.org
Fri Oct 9 09:37:35 CDT 2020

I'm a librarian in a conservative community so I understand where you're
coming from.

First, I always vet titles I'm adding to our library collection.  I
carefully consider whether they've won literary
<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia>awards
<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia>. Have they been positively
reviewed and recommended by librarians, literary critics, and/or experts?
Does VOYA <http://voyamagazine.com/topics/voyabooklists/> recommend this
title?  Third, is this a title in demand at public libraries
<https://bookriot.com/most-popular-books-in-libraries-2/> or online
<https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/young-adult-hardcover/>? Your
local libraries can give you insight into the most popular titles in their
collections.  This might help bolster your argument if a challenge arises.

Is this title worth investing in? If a title's going to gather dust on the
shelves, you may reconsider purchasing it. Fourth, does the title represent
diversity?  Even if you're a private or religious institution, your
students will encounter diversity in the wider world so it's important
they're prepared for those perspectives.  For example, I have a book on my
shelves: *Gay, America: A Struggle for Equality*. Whenever our middle
schoolers spy it on the shelf, I'll hear conspiratorial giggling. But once
I tell them it's about advocacy and activism amongst gay Americans, they're
speechless.  It's the shock value of seeing the word "gay" on a book.
They're hoping there's something salacious.

If a student desires deeper discussion about material covered within a
text, can they reach out to clergy, religious educators, and/or counselors?
Would your high school be receptive to referring questioning students to
outside resources?

Best, Michelle Walsh

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Lala Lala via AISLE <

> Hi,
>
> I have a meeting in an hour with a teacher who has asked for advice in
> LGBTQ+ themed texts in our Catholic school.
>
> Do you have advice? And please don't be preachy or judgey- I know that
> some of our dear students identify within the LGBTQ+ community. I'd like to
> ask specifically to those who can relate and have experience. Your advice
> is appreciated.
>

> Thank you!!
>
> Lori
>
> --
> Lori McGreal
> Trinity High School librarian
> lmcgreal at trinityhs.org
> 1-708-453-9340

MPSD57 Technology Support for Remote Learning

   - Help Desk: At-Home Tech Assistance Form
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsZXHvbDY6ue18Twv_8pPM479Zs8efnE3-qV4MU9lOJtDwYQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>
   - Tech assistance tickets received outside of remote learning hours will
   be responded to during the next remote learning day.

Parent Academy
<https://sites.google.com/d57.org/parentacademytechnology/home> | Student
Academy <https://sites.google.com/d57.org/student-academy-tech-dept/home>

M.A. Educational Administration, Type 75
SLMS, Type 03 & Type 10
LRC Director, Lincoln Middle School

--
All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
Acceptable Use Policies of District 57, which may result in monitoring and