[aisle] [External] teaching LGBTQ+ texts in conservative school

Sherry Jo Baehr shebae at d219.org
Fri Oct 9 16:37:43 CDT 2020

Hi Lori,

I love that this teacher is looking to include LGBTQ themes and topics in
the classroom! I would encourage the teacher to take steps to protect the
emotional well-being of LGBTQ students during this process. Teachers should
always assume they have students in their classes who are LGBTQ. Gay or
transgender rights, for example, are not topics for debate, and classroom
discussions about this should be handled very carefully. Introducing texts
about LGBTQ issues and having students write personal reflections would be
a great way to start.

Sherry Jo Baehr
GSA Sponsor
Head Librarian @ Niles West High School

My Pronouns: she/her ~ See mypronouns.org to learn more

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:42 PM Katie Pausch via AISLE <