[aisle] Elementary Check Out

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Wed Sep 16 10:36:51 CDT 2020

We are taking books on carts to classrooms. We are able to take our
circulation system with us on a laptop (or if the internet fails, we do
have a paper/pencil system for recording barcodes). We have also offered
every classroom an "Online Catalog Refresher Lesson" to remind students how
to place holds. That way if they don't find something they like on the
cart, they can place a direct order which we will deliver.

As students approach the cart in the classroom, they are required to use
the hand sanitizer.  If they want to touch a book extensively (open the
front cover to read the inside flap, for instance...) they must use a
tissue to remove the book from the cart. We don't use our check-out cards,
instead we type in the names of the students as they approach the circ
laptop. We also try to keep notes of what classrooms are requesting for our
next visit (please bring more Diary of a Wimpy Kid, more dog books, etc.)

Fully loaded bookcarts are heavy, but we're going to be super buff!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Apra Mainardi via AISLE <

> Hello! I'm the new district teacher-librarian in Winnebago. I come from 10
> years of experience as a teacher-librarian in Iowa previously. One of our
> elementary library aides reached out to me to try and come up with a better
> plan for check outs for grades 3-5. Would anyone be willing to share what
> your elementary building is doing for check out if students are not allowed
> to come into the library and touch the books?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> --
> Apra Mainardi
> District Teacher-Librarian
> Winnebago High School
>
> This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above
> addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
> WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any
> unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or
> copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly
> immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary
> steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of
> this transmission.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4