[aisle] Elementary Check Out

Karrie Fisher kfisher at district31.net
Wed Sep 16 11:11:03 CDT 2020

I am on a cart and going to the classrooms.  On Fridays I also bring a cart
of books for the various grades/reading levels.  Kids are not allowed to
touch the books so we display them and fan them out on the cart so they can
do the proverbial "pick a book by its cover."

I taught my students (2-5) how to log into the Follett Destiny and put
books on hold, so we pull them on Thursday and  bring those  books for the
individual kids.  They loved it last week!  I also taught them how to check
out my ebooks on Destiny Discover.  They love that, too.  We use Axis360
and they all know how to use that as well.  The first week of school was
all about logging in, finding books, checking them out.  It was exhausting
but they are all set now for the times when they are not in my rotation.

I scan in their library cards and scan their books for them.  We tried to
have them scan the books in but it's too tempting for them to touch the
scanner.  Also, unless you scan it perfectly, it doesn't work. It was
taking too much of our 25 minute classes to have the kids scanning.  Now I
just do it.

So far, so good.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of returns I get
because I'm on rotations and see only a set group of kids for two weeks.
That means the kids who have books due the following week won't be in class
with me.

Flexibility is the name of my game.  And the knowledge that there will
probably be a lot of lost books this year.

Happily Ever After,

Karrie Fisher
LMC Director
Teacher Librarian

*Click HERE <http://district31.follettdestiny.com> for the Winkelman
Library Card Catalog*

Winkelman School
1919 Landwehr Road
Glenview, IL  60026

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Apra Mainardi via AISLE <