[aisle] #ownvoices and Virtual Field Trips

Inmaculada Galan igalan at csd99.org
Mon Sep 28 12:15:52 CDT 2020

Hi Nichole,

Have you tried the International Children's Digital Library
<http://en.childrenslibrary.org/>?

Inma

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM Nichole Folkman via AISLE <

> So I've been working on researching and putting together what I'm calling
> #PostcardField Trip. This idea is that we travel the world through books,
> virtual tours and resources, and postcards that I send home. I'm working on
> this for k-12. The biggest issue I'm running into is having Own Voices
> books for a lot of countries and even the U.S. territories. For instance, I
> have found Juana and Lucas Big Problemas for Bolivia, but not much for many
> other South American countries. I can find books set in Africa, but they
> are often not country specific (often because they are not Own Voices) OR
> if they are Own Voices, they are often no longer in print. I have checked
> We Need Diverse Books (and Google), which has given me a lot of help, but I
> am still stuck for a lot of countries. Any other suggestions or ideas for
> places or ways to research?
>
> For the older kids, often the books I can find about other countries tend
> to be history books or about major events. I do want this, BUT I also want
> books about joy and happiness and everyday life! Good middle school and ya
> books that are set there and by Own Voices authors. (Luckily, we have a few
> great books on the Lincoln this year that help!)
>
> --
> Thanks!
> Nichole Folkman
> K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
>
> Co-chair of the Lincoln Teen Readers' Choice Award
>
> Scholastic Bowl Coach
> Antler/ Staglite Advisor
>
> she/ her/ hers
>
> Check out my projects at
> https://www.donorschoose.org/Mrs.Folkman
>
> Currently Reading
> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/339006?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
> [image: Book Cover]
> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/339006?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
> [image: Goodreads Logo]
> <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature> Get
> your own email signature
> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

Inma Galan
Downers Grove South High School
Librarian
igalan at csd99.org
630-795-8562
Office Hours: Tuesdays 7-8 pm/ Wednesdays 4:30-6:30 pm

--

This electronic message (and any associated file attachments) is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It