[aisle] novel study - immigration- not from the Americas

Feeley, Francis fafeeley at cps.edu
Thu Apr 22 09:01:35 CDT 2021

Hi, Lori!

During the 2019-2020 school year my high school library offered programming
built around the theme of "Immigrants and Refugees." This included a book
list that was promoted heavily and related programming (some of which
didn't come to pass due to the school closures).

Here is a link to the slideshow of fiction and nonfiction titles embedded
on the library home page:
http://www.jcplibrary.weebly.com/index.html#ir

Here is a link to a much longer list of titles related to themes of
immigration in my library collection:
https://pac.library.cps.edu/list/static/2782322744/rss?config=1060

I agree with Carol Naughton's suggestion of *We Are Not From Here *by Jenny
Torres Sanchez. It's incredible and really conveys the life and death
decisions and risks that aren't sufficiently conveyed in the US immigration
narrative.

Please feel free to email me to arrange a time to speak on the phone about
specific titles.

Fran

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:14 AM Lala Lala via AISLE <

> Hi!
>
> I have a Social Studies teacher here in the* high school *who would like
> to include a novel study in her American Immigration class. The course is
> open to grades 9-12, so the book would need to be suitable for all grade
> levels and reading abilities.
>
> Some topic areas she teaches in the class are: Irish immigration, Chinese
> (and some Japanese) Immigration, Immigration Restriction Policies that led
> to the refugee crisis during WW2 (she incorporates America's response to
> the Holocaust in this unit and teach about the St. Louis being turned away
> from the shores of the US); nativism & xenophobia and some coverage of
> current issues in immigration.
>
> In the geography class that our school offered a few years ago, we used
> the novel *Enrique's Journey.* Students connected strongly to that book,
> but it is nearly 10 years old.  That said, it is a terrific book and would
> speak specifically to the immigration crisis at our border, so she wouldn't
> say no to it. (I realize this story is about a person from Honduras, but it
> sounds like the topics she teaches in the Immigration class deal more with
> other parts of the world).
>
> I would LOVE to hear any suggestions you all might have for novels about
> the American immigrant experience.  The teacher said she "would happily *modify
> my curricular topics to accommodate a great read that would inspire
> students*."
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>

> Thank you!!
>
> Lori
>

> --
> Lori McGreal
> Trinity High School librarian
> lmcgreal at trinityhs.org
> 1-708-453-9340

*Fran Feeley, NBCT*
School Librarian  fafeeley at cps.edu
http://jcplibrary.weebly.com/  (website)
https://jcplibrary.weebly.com/library-newsblog (blog)
pronouns: he, him, his

*I am working on becoming an anti-racist teacher. I'm ready to talk about
it.*

*Click here <https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1825348-fran?shelf=read>
to see what I have been reading lately. Reach out to discuss!*
[image: peacefully reading]

*William Jones College Preparatory High School*
700 South State Street
Chicago IL 60605
GSR #38
http://www.jonescollegeprep.org