[aisle] library curriculum

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Fri Apr 23 09:49:19 CDT 2021

I create my own curriculum for my k-5 fixed schedule kids. I try to
supplement science and social studies since we have less time for those
(especially this year on a condensed schedule). This year I started
something I'm calling Postcard Field Trip that focuses on "travelling" with
our reading so that we study people, culture, history, government,
landmarks, ecosystems, agriculture, etc of different places that we can
travel through our books. The kids have really enjoyed it. I'm going to
work on a website this summer to share what books I've been using and the
cool links I've found to share with students.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM Michelle Harris via AISLE <

> My elementary school is on a fixed schedule and my classes provide plan
> time for teachers.  I do NOT have a fixed curriculum, I have always written
> my own.  I look at the library standards, technology standards, and
> ELA/science/social studies standards to undergird my lessons.  I keep in
> contact with individual grades so that, for example, when they are studying
> poetry, I can be doing a tech project with poetry, teaching students where
> to find poetry in the library, or spotlighting featured poets.   I do keep
> track of my own scope & sequence and tweak it and change it up all the time
> as needed. I am not required to give grades.
>
> Michelle Harris
> Heyworth CUSD #4
>
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM Barb Miller via AISLE <
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> For those of you who are on a fixed schedule and the library is providing
>> plan time for a classroom teacher, does your district have a library
>> curriculum? Not just follow the standards, but an actual curriculum you are
>> required to follow? Scope and sequence? If you do have a library
>> curriculum, please share.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Barb Miller
>> Learning Resource Center Facilitator
>> Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C
>>

>> *“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels
>> about education.” Harold Howe*

>> This electronic message (and any associated file
>> attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
>> or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
>> confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
>> printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
>> strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
>> please promptly delete this message and notify the sender
>> by e-mail.
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/
>

> --
> Michelle Harris
> District Librarian
> Heyworth CUSD #4

Thanks!
Nichole Folkman
K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
Creator and Director of Stags Read Community Literacy Program

Co-chair of the Lincoln Teen Readers' Choice Award

Scholastic Bowl Coach
Antler/ Staglite Advisor

she/ her/ hers

Check out my projects at