[aisle] Kindergarten checkouts - need tips and tricks!

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Tue Aug 31 11:33:10 CDT 2021

I agree with many of the methods here, but instead of putting the books on
a table, we ask them to choose from the books on display on the tops of the
bookcases (they're short cases).  So, like others, their choices are
limited until they're a bit older.  By 2nd semester, we teach them to use
shelf markers and then monitor that for a few weeks.  Once they are
proficient with shelf markers, they can choose from any Picturebook or Easy
Non-fiction shelf.

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 8:56 AM Jaime Pirus via AISLE <

> This is my second year at a school library, but last year checkouts looked
> different. This year, our kindergarten students are able to check out books
> “normally.” Does anybody have any tips or tricks on how to make sure the
> kindergarteners have fun choosing a book while still avoiding a tornado
> disaster in the library?
>

> I have five kindergarten classes that each come to the library for 30
> minutes once per week. All five classes come back-to-back with no prep time
> in between.
>

> Thank you!
>

> Jaime.pirus at rc255.net
>

> Jaime Pirus
>
> District Librarian
>
> Reed-Custer Elementary School
> <https://webmail.rc255.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=6BnC75yteXmTceBBG0ZyjRDbiLtPNJ2K9rYjMXLCuRFeOFjVWfvYCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.rc255.net%2fRCIS%2fPages%2fdefault.aspx>
>
> Currently Reading: *When You Trap a Tiger *by Tae Keller

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4