[aisle] Sebold's Lucky?

Moller, Jenna Jenna.Moller at lz95.org
Tue Dec 7 09:58:33 CST 2021

I’m leaning toward keeping it on the shelves, and I am going to add in a sticker or a note (any suggestions?) saying Broadwater was exonerated. So although her eyewitness testimony was wrong, her experience and trauma were real.

I read this article<https://slate.com/culture/2021/12/alice-sebold-memoir-lucky-rape-exoneration-anthony-broadwater.html> last week and this quote really stood out to me: “As I reread this memoir now, the narrator of Lucky transforms from a brave survivor summoning the will to bring her rapist to justice into an isolated, psychologically damaged girl making a desperate but delusional bid to regain her life. Sebold committed a terrible wrong in identifying Broadwater as her attacker, but it’s not the responsibility of a traumatized rape victim to fairly investigate and prosecute the person who assaulted her. That is the duty of the police and prosecutors, who failed both Sebold and Broadwater at every stage, from the moment she first reported the crime to the moment he was convicted.”

Those are my initial thoughts.

Dr. Jenna Moller (she/her)
Learning and Innovation Hub Coordinator
Lake Zurich High School

Currently Reading: Atlas of the Heart by Brené Brown