[aisle] The Undefeated

Kathryn Green liveaboveline at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 06:08:59 CST 2021

If you read to the bottom of the blurb in the inside jacket, you can find an audio link to this book. It is short but I liked it.

As you read through the book, you will see images of famous African Americans. There is a history timeline in the back of the book. I read the words, and showed the students how some words were bigger than the others.  I asked them why they thought that was. I explained that the largest word had some special meaning about the picture, like a QR link but way older, and that I had to be a book detective and find what the word meant. (Advocating for reading the entire book). I would recommend reading the timeline in the back first she you are prepared)

The discussion from this book lasted way longer than 30 minutes across the grades.  I paired it with Becoming Kareem on the Caudill for older readers.

Kathryn Green