[aisle] The Undefeated

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Mon Feb 8 08:54:54 CST 2021

What an excellent book. It sparks clearly appropriate and important
conversations for all ages to have. I talked about some poetry elements
like rhyme, alliteration, and repetition. I also pointed out a few figures
from the illustrations of people they might recognize and talked about
Langston Hughes specifically because he went to school in a town near us. I
answered all questions that were asked. Students are hungry for knowledge,
understanding, and acceptance. They have so many questions. Let's not
squash them or pretend they don't exist.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Wyatt, Paula via AISLE <

> I loved this book.  I presented this video for the presentation of the
> story because I felt like hearing it from Kwame was powerful.
> https://www.teachingbooks.net/ql7ihci We then talked about it being a
> poem, an ode.  We discussed who did he dedicate this poem to and what
> evidence did they have for their answers.  The conversations were rich and
> thoughtful.
> *Paula Wyatt, MS., MA., NBCT*
> *Beaubien Elementary School Librarian*
>

> <https://t.cred.ly/_gbSrjOQxjjQgd3HFWjl_A,,$$$lUilhrzpHlWZtHICD-hE4ov6_dk3CYXrz8H6dCSDQrKxUl93_unrvkTEMixatrvtCftvRDYbAt5Gav1osQIrUEYh1F-NENKp0hS6l5IQC-A,?r=https%3A%2F%2Fcredly.com%2Fcredit%2F23508137&t=1595970983&c=sl>
>
> [image: Positive Discipline | Laura Atack Positive Discipline | France]
> Beaubien Elementary School Librarian
>
> Libraries are . . . essential to the functioning of a democratic society .
> . .libraries are the great symbols of the freedom of the mind.  Franklin
> D. Roosevelt
>
> *Click to see my projects at http://www.donorschoose.org/pa
> <http://www.donorschoose.org/paulawyatt>**ulawyatt
> <http://www.donorschoose.org/paulawyatt>*
> *Please consider a donation!*
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 5:49 AM Kulesza, Patti via AISLE <
>
>> Hi friends. I'm having a bit of a freeze as to how to present the Monarch
>> nominee, The Undefeated, to my K and 1st grade students. We are totally
>> remote and need 30 minutes. I want to highlight black history but
>> struggling with trying to keep it age appropriate. Any black history ideas
>> willing to share for remote out there for k-2? Thanks!
>> Patty Kulesza
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

Thanks!
Nichole Folkman
K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director

Co-chair of the Lincoln Teen Readers' Choice Award

Scholastic Bowl Coach
Antler/ Staglite Advisor

she/ her/ hers

Check out my projects at