[aisle] The Undefeated

Brenda Glenn bglenn at emsd63.org
Mon Feb 8 09:53:09 CST 2021

Hi Patty,

I'm doing The Undefeated this week w K-2, but in Seesaw. I've excerpted
some of the instructions below. You could show the poem video (link below),
then the book (link below), and ask which they liked better and WHY. You
could elaborate that it was a poem wayyyyy before it was a book. Why do
they think it was made into a book. My Seesaw lesson has them responding to
the final page of the book. You could do the same, but live. This is the
picture link (it's nice and big for viewing)
https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2019/04/01/undefeated_npr_page_18_custom-4fbbd5fb676a9c91c7caffeb7f7f217978a02850-s1500-c85.jpg
.

 The first is the poem, The Undefeated, recited by the author, Kwame
Alexander. The poem was written and this video was recorded BEFORE the poem
was made into a book with illustrations.

   -  https://theundefeated.com/videos/this-one-is-for-us/ Then you will
   watch Kwame Alexander read his book with the illustrations by Kadir Nelson.
   Mr. Nelson won the Caldecott Medal for his beautiful artwork in The
   Undefeated. https://youtu.be/_cHIWtl8PNk Which did you like better?

- Finally,
-
- you will comment on the last page of the book. What do you think about
the picture? What do the words "This is for you. And you. And you. This is
for us." mean? You can use
-

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 5:49 AM Kulesza, Patti via AISLE <

> Hi friends. I'm having a bit of a freeze as to how to present the Monarch
> nominee, The Undefeated, to my K and 1st grade students. We are totally
> remote and need 30 minutes. I want to highlight black history but
> struggling with trying to keep it age appropriate. Any black history ideas
> willing to share for remote out there for k-2? Thanks!
> Patty Kulesza

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments may contain
confidential and privileged information that is protected by law. The
information contained herein is transmitted for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or designated
agent of the recipient of such information, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this email or the
information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may subject you to
penalties under federal and/or state law. If you received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this
email. The Administration reserves the right to monitor any and all
communications delivered to and/or from this network.