[aisle] Devices at home

Pulgar, Christine cpulgar at npd117.net
Tue Feb 9 11:22:38 CST 2021

Hi all,

Just wondering if some of you are experiencing this same issue.  We are an
elementary building (2-5) and all of our students are taking home their
Chromebooks daily.  70% of our students are in the building full day 5 days
a week since August and the other 30% are remote.  We have so many students
doing work and sending emails very late at night.

Is there a way to set "working hours" for a device so that students can't
use it from 8pm-8am? (or something similar?)  I know this is a very
controlling question, but we are certain many of our parents don't know
students are using their devices into the wee hours of the night and MOST
of them aren't doing homework.

We also have 2nd graders that have learned how to use incognito mode, and
how to bypass Hapara shutting down their tabs.  Smart kids but it's too
much, too early!  (even for our 5th graders)

I'd love to hear some management suggestions (other than reminding parents
that devices should only be used for school related work) or just to hear
that others have the same concerns.

Thanks!

Christine Pulgar
Reader. Teacher. Librarian. – MLIS; NBCT
Glen Oaks School
Hickory Hills, IL 60457
708-233-6806
cpulgar at npd117.net
https://twitter.com/CpulgarNBCT
https://twitter.com/glenoakslibrary
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King