[aisle] book suggestion needed

Kelley Roganowicz roganok at rps205.com
Fri Feb 12 06:49:16 CST 2021

One that comes to mind is Just Like Jackie, by Lindsey Stoddard. Here are my notes from when I read it...

Great book! It starts with Robinson (a fifth grade student) getting into a fight with a boy at school, and her grandpa has to come to school to get her and have a conference. Robbie is worried that the people at school will notice that he has dementia and is struggling to make sense at times. She would rather spend time with him at his mechanic shop and work on cars, where she doesn’t really have to deal with people. At the same time, she is given an assignment to make a family tree. This is next to impossible for her because she knows nothing about her family, other than her grandpa. He is African-American, and she looks nothing like him, with blond hair. Through the book, she learns more about the boy that she had fought with, as well as more about her family. She also has to come with terms that her grandpa can’t be left alone, and is becoming increasingly difficult for her to take care of. There is a great climax, where Robbie tries to take her grandpa to hide him from the DCFS worker that is coming, but comes to the realization that she can’t take care of him alone. The decision that is made by Robbie, the DCFS worker and family friends actually made me cry. Robbie is finally able to finish her family tree, and although there are very few biological family members on it, it is full of other “family.”

Kelley Roganowicz

Teacher/Librarian

roganok at rps205.com

Two-Way Language Immersion at Barbour