[aisle] Destiny Question

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Fri Feb 12 09:58:32 CST 2021

Wow!

Be sure to clarify with your principal who is responsible for what items.
It's not unreasonable to want everything accounted for, but it *is*
unreasonable to make you accountable for things you have no control over!
You may need more operator accounts for people who actually distribute some
of these items, i.e. will everyone come to you for a walkie-talkie, or are
these distributed by office staff? If the latter, the office staff member
responsible needs an account in the system so you know who checked out what
item to whom. This can quickly get out-of-hand complicated, so you may have
to patiently walk your principal through either centralizing checkout of
everything, or backing away from cataloging certain things. If you're
checking out everything, analyze the time needed to do that, and advocate
for necessary staff!

Secondly, whatever you catalog, make sure it has its own category, and if
it isn't in your balliwick, it isn't mixed in with your library inventory.
In our school, we use the 'resource' designation for all technology items -
computers, chromebooks, ipads, external drives, doc cams, etc. The only
thing in the Library designation are items in the library. We have separate
copy categories for mp3 players, Playaways, professional publications,
makerspace items, etc. Destiny makes this pretty easy to do, if
time-consuming.

Manipulatives? Really? You'll need to clarify how closely these are to be
monitored. If a counting set or game starts the year with 25 pieces and
ends the year with 24 pieces, is it charged to whoever checked it out? Are
you going to go after a kid who spills parts and one goes under the
radiator or gets stepped on?

I wish you luck with this one, and hope you can work with others in your
building to devise a way to be responsible with resources without driving
everyone crazy!

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 4:24 PM Jackieusc via AISLE <

> My admin wants everything barcoded and put into destiny. We are a new
> school, on year three. My principal insisted all manipulatives, teacher
> manuals,all walkies/radios, classroom library book sets, scanner
> thermometers for covid.
> I’m trying to come up with a good argument as to why “everything”
> shouldn’t be barcoded and put into the school library catalog.
> Help! Am I wrong?
> What is best practice?
> The teachers don’t check out their classroom libraries($2k) because they
> are scared the students will lose them.
> Looking for some advice from the hive mind please!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School