[aisle] Destiny Question

Holtz, Alan C. (BMS) holtzac at vvsd.org
Fri Feb 12 10:22:19 CST 2021

Good morning Jackie,

I agree with your principal that everything needs to be inventoried and Destiny can do it, but it boils down to a manpower (or womanpower) issue for you. Do you have the time to do primary cataloging to add a title record for each type of item? Do you have paid hours to organize everything over the summer? Do you have paid hours to check equipment out to faculty?

If you have a written answer of "yes" to those 3 questions, then you need to do it. If you don't have yeses to all 3, the union rep in me says, you need to ask to be compensated for your time. I am the union rep for our "special" teachers. Basically, if a teacher is the plan period for another teacher, I am the union rep. I had to point out that the library directors get "extra" plan periods because we have extra duties. For example, I spent 3 days just adding portable amps and Bluetooth headsets to our inventory. I shared that with our union's other reps. I pointed out that our jobs are unique because we do stuff for other classrooms and not just ours. You need to talk to your union rep about this issue and is it in your job description to check out manuals and other things to your teachers?

In my school, I get a few paid hours over the summer to set up AV equipment. On non-pandemic years, I have had a small army of NJHS and NHS volunteers in here doing everything from sorting our AV cords, cleaning remotes (How does a faculty member get a remote sticky?), covering paperbacks, repo-ing AV carts, putting kits of projector cables and SMARTboard pens together, coiling up the cords for surge protectors, et. al... I'm fortunate that my principal pays for a week of the pizza for the student volunteers. Bottom line is if they want it done, say yes and ask for compensation.

Sincerely,

Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education