[aisle] Help me feel better about classroom libraries . . .

Renee Brown brownr at cusd305.org
Tue Feb 23 15:46:01 CST 2021

Lately, I have been bothered (threatened?) by the number of books our
classroom teachers buy and collect and catalog in their classrooms. I don't
understand why they spend so much of their personal money to build
classroom collections when we have libraries in the schools to accommodate
reading. I would really feel jilted if my school was subsidizing their
classroom collections, but as far as I know, this is not happening. I had a
classroom teacher come to me to ask for help on how to catalog her
classroom collection using classroom.booksource.com.  Their classroom
collections are fabulous and full of current, popular titles.

Why does this make me feel uneasy? I am glad they have so many books for
their students to choose from, I just don't understand why they feel the
need to build such massive collections.

I know libraries offer more selections and are more organized and are more
diversified. I know we offer more than just books. I know we are a resource
to students and teachers. I know we provide programming and instruction.
Even though I know our worth, any words of comfort would help me feel
better about seeing all the shelves of really cool books in the classrooms.
(Which is actually a good thing. Right?)

Renee Brown
*District Librarian*
*Computer Teacher*
*Learn and Serve Team Coordinator*