[aisle] Help me feel better about classroom libraries . . .

Jo Anne Sundberg jsundberg at sd44.org
Wed Feb 24 11:46:21 CST 2021

I think it causes less stress for the students when the classroom has a
leveled library.  The teacher is then able to direct them to books they can
read independently.  I once had a teacher who wanted students to read
independently at home and then remember to bring the book to school for
silent reading time.  Sometimes the kids would forget to bring the books
back and forth and were constantly reminded to bring them back and forth!
 I picture the library books to be more High interest and fun books.  (I'm
not always on the same page as the teacher but I feel they should pick a
few at their level and a few for fun that may be too easy or too hard.)

For help with cataloging I would say something like... I use Library
software  that's very different; you probably know more about the app than
I do.  Answer basic questions but tell them to search the shelves to get an
idea of how the books are organized.  I hope that helps!

JoAnne Sundberg
Manor Hill LRC
(630) 827-4344

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 11:16 AM Pam Meiser via AISLE <

> I was a classroom teacher as well. Having my own classroom library (which
> I spent my own money to create) allowed me to sort many of my books by
> reading level. Having those books close at hand after conferring with a
> student allowed me to immediately put a book in the child's hand at the
> appropriate level. I often had multiple copies for book groups or for
> partner reading, which my library doesn't have. My library has books for
> K-5, whereas my classroom library had books that matched the reading range
> for my third graders.
>
> As a librarian, I want my students to read whatever they'd like, despite
> their reading level. Plus, I don't know each child's reading level!
> Classroom teachers do not accompany their students to the library.
>
> I believe the two can exist in harmony!
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:58 PM Leah Krippner via AISLE <
>
>> I understand their inclination. I was a classroom teacher with a meaty
>> classroom library. It kept a lid on kids who claimed to need a new book and
>> would spend virtually the entire hour down at the library "looking" for a
>> new book. They weren't looking for anything other than a ticket to roam the
>> halls. I amassed a sizable classroom collection to keep these non-readers
>> on a short leash.
>>
>> Don't worry. We aren't trying to compete with the actual library. And the
>> clients we're appeasing weren't your actual library users.
>>
>> --
>> Leah Krippner
>> Pronouns: she/her
>> Librarian, Harlem High School
>> Currently Reading: *Ready Player Two* by Ernest Cline
>> Library Website
>> <https://sites.google.com/harlem122.org/hhs/Harlem-High-School/IMC?authuser=0>
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:46 PM Renee Brown via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Lately, I have been bothered (threatened?) by the number of books our
>>> classroom teachers buy and collect and catalog in their classrooms. I don't
>>> understand why they spend so much of their personal money to build
>>> classroom collections when we have libraries in the schools to accommodate
>>> reading. I would really feel jilted if my school was subsidizing their
>>> classroom collections, but as far as I know, this is not happening. I had a
>>> classroom teacher come to me to ask for help on how to catalog her
>>> classroom collection using classroom.booksource.com.  Their classroom
>>> collections are fabulous and full of current, popular titles.
>>>
>>> Why does this make me feel uneasy? I am glad they have so many books for
>>> their students to choose from, I just don't understand why they feel the
>>> need to build such massive collections.
>>>
>>> I know libraries offer more selections and are more organized and are
>>> more diversified. I know we offer more than just books. I know we are a
>>> resource to students and teachers. I know we provide programming and
>>> instruction. Even though I know our worth, any words of comfort would
> [...]

*E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public
records law.  Most written communications (including email) to or from
school district officials and staff are public records available to the
public and media upon request.  Your email communications may therefore be
subject to public disclosure.  Lombard School District 44.*