[aisle] AISLE President's Response to BLM Posts this morning

President AISLE president at aisled.org
Thu Jan 14 11:42:04 CST 2021

Research studies have proven that two witnesses to the same event will
often have differing interpretations of what they have seen.  As citizens
of this world, we are each witnessing events that must be interpreted,
analyzed, and then constructed to fit our personal views. Our differing
perspectives are to be expected. As educators providing instruction, we
should seek to keep that instruction neutral whenever possible.  We should
provide multiple perspectives and allow students to construct meaning for
themselves.

As president of AISLE, I will not endorse or condemn anyone else’s views in
this matter or any other. The organization should *not* be the one to tell
you what personal opinions to hold.  We are here to provide an open space
for sharing school library resources and to advocate for our students and
the profession.

The listserv is here for individuals to share resources in an un-moderated
environment.  If you do not agree with a resource someone has shared,
please, simply delete it. This is not the forum to discuss the merit of
each other’s personal beliefs. If it doesn’t work for you, don’t use it and
please do not disparage those who do.  Constructive feedback, questions,
and helpful comments are welcome.  Personal attacks are not.

Our world is overwhelmed with “sides” right now.  Please allow the AISLE
listserv remain a place where the only side is one we share – the one where
we each do what we feel is best for the students in our care.

If you have comments, please email me directly at president at aisled.org so
that we do not clutter the inboxes of listserv members with personal
communication. I would be happy to converse with any of you individually on
this matter. Additionally, I want to note that this is my
spur-of-the-moment response which was not approved by the board.    I hope
that you can understand that my words are meant with sincerity and care and
that I do not wish to alienate or condemn any individual.

Thank you.
*Christy Semande*
*President 2020-2021*
*Cell: 309.221.5609*