[aisle] Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action - February 1 - 5 , 2021

Alyse Liebovich alyseliebovich at u-46.org
Thu Jan 14 11:58:40 CST 2021

100% agree with everything you said, Bev.
This IS the perfect place to be sharing these important and inclusive
resources, especially for the 86% (myself included) who don't know what
it's like to be marginalized on a daily basis in this country.

In solidarity,
[image: reading]

*Alyse Liebovich*
*Librarian//Writers Week Coordinator//Unshelved (Book Club) Sponsor*
Bartlett High School
*Twitter:* @LibraryHawks <https://twitter.com/libraryhawks>
Currently Reading:    *Sh*t, Actually *by Lindy West
                            *The Space Between Worlds *by Michaiah Johnson
*Current Audiobook:*  *A Promised Land* by Barack Obama

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM Beverly Zbinden via AISLE <

> Librarians (as an overwhelmingly white group - 86%
> <http://www.ala.org/tools/sites/ala.org.tools/files/content/Draft%20of%20Member%20Demographics%20Survey%2001-11-2017.pdf>)
> have a responsibility to create more equitable and inclusive library spaces
> and curricula for the patrons we serve and for our BIYOC (Black,
> Indigenous, Youth of Color). This requires introspection and
> acknowledgement of our own biases and privilege, an understanding of the
> history of racism and oppression and its impact on library services, and a
> willingness to apply that knowledge to enact meaningful change. Look at the
> information on Black Lives Matter at School
> <https://www.blacklivesmatteratschool.com/>, watch the introductory video
> <https://youtu.be/sO-_PlUeCG0>.
> This is exactly the forum where these resources should be shared.
> Beverly Zbinden
> Head Librarian @ Niles North High School
> (847)626-2183
> *Pronouns: she/her/hers*
>
> "What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
> about education."
>   - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
>

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:42 AM Alyse Liebovich via AISLE <
>
>> Thank you, Judi! I was excited to see librarians sharing resources in
>> support of the BLM movement and, most importantly, our BIPOC students and
>> communities.
>> It is shocking to me that there are librarians speaking out* against *supporting
>> a peaceful social justice movement (as Sherry stated).
>>
>> Elisa, thank you for sharing that Malcolm X quote, and also when I read
>> your second response I said, *"Preach, Elisa!"*
>>
>> In solidarity,
>> [image: reading]
>>
>> *Alyse Liebovich*
>> *Librarian//Writers Week Coordinator//Unshelved (Book Club) Sponsor*
>> Bartlett High School
>> *Twitter:* @LibraryHawks <https://twitter.com/libraryhawks>
>> Currently Reading:    *Sh*t, Actually *by Lindy West
>>                             *The Space Between Worlds *by Michaiah
>> Johnson
>> *Current Audiobook:*  *A Promised Land* by Barack Obama
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:41 AM Elisa Gall via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Judi! I appreciate all of these resources, especially as so
>>> many false equivalences get made and gaslighting occurs around us. I am
>>> reminded of this Malcolm X quote:* If you're not careful,
>>> the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and
>>> loving the people who are doing the oppressing.*
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Elisa

>>> --
>>> Elisa Gall