[aisle] YA Non-Trauma - English III texts

Mary Rund mrund at camraiders.com
Tue Jan 19 11:56:55 CST 2021

Two that jump to my mind are *Far from the Tree *by Robin Benway and *XL *by
Scott Brown. Also, what about throwing some non-fiction into the mix?  I've
been having success, lately, with books like *Born a Crime *by Trevor
Noah, *Into
the Wild *by Jon Krakauer, and *The Glass Castle *by Jeannette Walls. (Not
exactly trauma free, I know, but interesting reads.)

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:55 AM Lauren Ochs via AISLE <

> We have had great success with lit circles in our English III classes the
> last couple of years, but as we are looking for some new titles to add this
> year, we want to provide a couple of options that are not based in
> traumatic experiences (per a few students' feedback requesting options that
> "aren't depressing"). I'm currently reading *Happily Ever Afters* by
> Elise Bryant which is wonderful so far and might be a good addition. We
> have used *Au Revoir Crazy European Chick* in a group in the past that
> needed something short and fast-paced. I was also thinking about *Frankly
> in Love* by David Yoon or *Field Guide to the North American Teenager* by
> Ben Phillippe.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for other options? Students can currently
> choose from several titles the most popular of which are: *The Hate U
> Give, All American Boys, Challenger Deep, The Serpent King, Turtles All the
> Way Down, *and *Speak.*
>
> *Lauren Ochs *
> School Librarian
> Mahomet-Seymour High School
> lochs at ms.k12.il.us
>
> *Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachment thereto is for
> the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic
> Communications Privacy Act (18 USC 2510 et seq). It may contain information
> that is confidential and legally privileged within the meaning of
> applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
> sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.*

Mary M. Rund
District Librarian
Head Coach Boys' Track & Field
Central A&M High School