[aisle] Health Ideas

Brenda Glenn bglenn at emsd63.org
Sat Jan 23 11:50:42 CST 2021

Did a presentation on body image a few years back. Maybe some of these.

My Body, Myself
Young Adult Literature where body image issues, from anorexia to ugliness,
are the central theme.

Albertalli, Becky The Upside of Unrequited (2017)

Avoiding relationships to protect her sensitive heart, plus-sized Molly
supports her once-cynical twin, Cassie, when the latter has her own bout of
lovesickness, a situation that is complicated by sibling dynamics and an
unexpected romantic triangle.

Anderson, Laurie Halse Wintergirls (2009)

Eighteen-year-old Lia comes to terms with her best friend's death from
anorexia as she struggles with the same disorder.

Anonymous Letting Ana Go (2013)

Required by her cross-country coach to keep a food diary, an insecure teen
finds that writing helps organize her thoughts, especially about issues
that she, her best friend, and her mother face related to weight and eating.

Bingham, Kelly Shark Girl (2007)

After a shark attack causes the amputation of her right arm,
fifteen-year-old Jane, an aspiring artist, struggles to come to terms with
her loss and the changes it imposes on her day-to-day life and her plans
for the future.

Crutcher, Chris Staying Fat for Sarah Burns (1993)

High school senior Eric Calhoune was a fat kid but has slimmed down since
joining the swim team. Now the same people who used to call him "Moby" (as
in Moby Dick, the whale) want to be his friends, but Eric remains loyal to
Sarah Byrnes. When Sarah -- who has horrible burn scars from a childhood
accident -- suddenly stops talking and is committed to a psych ward, Eric
goes to visit her every day, but he can't figure out what has shaken the
toughest girl he knows.

George, Madeleine Looks (2008)

Two high school girls, one an anorexic poet and the other an obese loner,
form an unlikely friendship.

Headley, Justina Chen North of Beautiful (2009)

Terra Rose has two main objectives: 1) hide the port-wine birthmark that
covers half of her face and 2) finish high school and escape to "a college
far, far away" from her abusive father. But after her dad derails her
plans, Terra feels lost, and it's not until gorgeous Goth-boy Jacob comes
into her life that she begins to see things differently.

Hopkins, Ellen Perfect (2011)

Everyone has something, someone, somewhere else that they'd rather be. For
four high-school seniors, their goals of perfection are just as different
as the paths they take to get there. Cara's parents' unrealistic
expectations have already sent her twin brother spiraling toward suicide.

Johnson, J.J. Believarexic (2015)

An autobiographical novel in which fifteen-year-old Jennifer Johnson
convinces her parents to commit her to the Eating Disorders Unit of an
upstate New York psychiatric hospital in 1988, where the treatment for her
bulimia and anorexia is not what she expects.

Kaslik, Ibi Skinny (2005)

After the death of their father, two sisters struggle with various issues,
including their family history, personal relationships, and an extreme
eating disorder.

Keplinger, Kody The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend (2010)

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper starts sleeping with Wesley Rush, a
notorious womanizer who disgusts her, in order to distract her from her
personal problems, and to her surprise, the two of them find they have a
lot in common.

Koertge, Ronald Stoner & Spaz (2002)

A troubled youth with cerebral palsy struggles toward self-acceptance with
the help of a drug-addicted young woman.

Lange, Erin Jade Butter (2012)

Unable to control his binge eating, a morbidly obese teenager nicknamed
Butter decides to make a live webcast of his last meal as he attempts to
eat himself to death.

Larsen, Jen Future Perfect (2015)

Ashley is offered the chance to have weight-loss surgery by her exacting
grandmother, who promises to provide tuition to her dream college in return.

Larsen, Jen Stranger Here: How Weight Loss Surgery Transformed My Body and
Messed with My Head (2013)

Offers the author's experiences in going from obesity to having a slender
figure by losing 180 pounds after having bariatric surgery, focusing on the
confusion and emotional highs and lows that came with such a drastic change.

Lawrence, Iain Ghost Boy (2000)

Unhappy in a home seemingly devoid of love, a fourteen-year-old albino boy
who thinks of himself as Harold the Ghost runs away to join the circus,
where he works with the elephants and searches for a sense of who he is.

Lipsyte, Robert One Fat Summer (1977)

An overweight fourteen-year-old boy experiences a turning-point summer in
which he learns to stand up for himself.

Mackler, Carolyn The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things (2003)

Virginia Shreves is insecure -- and comparing herself to the tall, dark,
and slender over-achievers who make up the rest of her family doesn't help.
Add in even more criticism than usual from her exercise-obsessed mom and
the fact that Virginia's best friend has moved away, and it's sure be a bad
year of epic proportions. Or is it?

Moskowitz, Hannah Not Otherwise Specified  (2015)

Auditioning for a New York City performing arts high school could help Etta
escape from her Nebraska all-girl school, where she is not gay enough for
her former friends, not sick enough for her eating disorders group, and not
thin enough for ballet, but it may also mean real friendships.

Myers, Lily This Impossible Light (2017)

The YouTube slam poetry star of Shrinking Women presents a novel in verse
centering around the challenges of body image, tracing the experiences of a
teen who develops bulimia in her effort to find purpose, control and
confidence in response to her family's dysfunction and a best friend's
estrangement.

Na, An The Fold (2008)

Korean American high school student Joyce Kim feels like a nonentity
compared to her beautiful older sister, and when her aunt offers to pay for
plastic surgery on her eyes, she jumps at the chance, thinking it will
change her life for the better.

Rainfield, C.A. Scars (2010)

Fifteen-year-old Kendra, a budding artist, has not felt safe since she
began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially
since she cannot remember her abuser's identity, and she copes with the
pressure by cutting herself.

Shusterman, Neil Scorpion Shards (1995)

Six teenagers, each tormented by a baffling deformity, come together to try
to stop the "beasts" that threaten to destroy them and the world

Van Draanen, Wendelin The Running Dream (2011)

When a school bus accident leaves sixteen-year-old Jessica an amputee, she
returns to school with a prosthetic limb and her track team finds a
wonderful way to help rekindle her dream of running again.

Vivian, Siobhan The List (2012)

Every year at Mount Washington High School somebody posts a list of the
prettiest and ugliest girls from each grade--this is the story of eight
girls, freshman to senior, and how they are affected by the list.

Voight, Cynthia Izzy Willy-Nilly (1986)

A car accident causes fifteen-year-old Izzy to lose one leg and face the
need to start building a new life as an amputee

Westerfeld, Scott Shay’s Story (2012)

A few months shy of her sixteenth birthday, when she will be transformed
into a "pretty" whose only job is to have a great time, Shay befriends the
Crims, a group of teens who refuse to take anything in society at face
value.

Westerfeld, Scott Uglies (2005)

Just before their sixteenth birthdays, when they will be transformed into
beauties whose only job is to have a great time, Tally's best friend runs
away and Tally must find her and turn her in, or never become pretty at all.

Zadoff, Allen Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have (2009)

Sophomore Andy Zansky, the second fattest student at his high school, is
more or less resigned to participating in the Model UN with his friend
Eytan. But when he instead joins the varsity football team on a whim --
mainly to attract the attention of his crush, new girl April -- Andy is
stunned by how quickly his life changes.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 12:13 PM Denyse Eagleson via AISLE <

> The health teacher at my school has decided to have the kids pick out
> their own books with topics related to health class and then prepare
> presentation.  So, some that I have thought of include: Cut, Speak, Butter,
> Gym Candy, Winter Girls, My Sister's Keeper, and a few others.  So I am
> needing a few more ideas!  Thanks!!!!
>
> --
> *Denyse Eagleson*
> *English Teacher, Librarian*
> *Richland County High School*
> *Olney, Il 62450*
> *DEagleson at rccu1.net* <DEagleson at rccu1.net>

Brenda Glenn
Teacher Librarian
Washington School
Glenview, IL
847.745.6340

--
Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments may contain
confidential and privileged information that is protected by law. The