[aisle] What are your most pressing issues

Janine Asmus JAsmus at leyden212.org
Fri Jun 18 15:14:58 CDT 2021

The most pressing issue for Illinois school librarians is how we are
perceived.

How do we demonstrate our value and our need in ALL Illinois schools? This
should be paramount. An all-out marketing campaign letting Illinois schools
(and the decision makers in them) know who we are, what we do, and how we
contribute to student growth and achievement is the number one priority.

Many states are losing their certified school librarians or have a handful
at best. I fear we are not far behind.

What should be our angle? Target audience? Who do we solicit in our midst
to help us and gather support? Illinois public librarians? Classroom
teachers? Book publishers? Well known Illinois authors? If we could create
a true campaign (AISLE/ISBE taskforce just for this) at the state level
that others could follow or emulate, we might be able to increase our
budgets, improve our schedules and access more materials and maintain our
positions.  Many of you travel to several schools, have no clerk/assistant
and operate on a budget of next to nothing.  This can't sustain itself.

Every Illinois school librarian should be a member of our organization and
find a way to contribute-- not necessarily monetarily.  Rather, contribute
with time, great ideas, even greater enthusiasm and a stalwart conviction
to the profession itself.  Advocate right from where you sit.  If you are
in a small town or in a large suburban District, sit and think about how
you can directly impact your colleagues in this profession.

Janine M. Asmus
West Leyden High School, Librarian
Leyden High Schools District # 212
Northlake, IL 60164

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM HELEN BIBLER via AISLE <