[aisle] Library Schedule - Elementary School

Jaime Pirus jaime.pirus at rc255.net
Wed Mar 3 11:19:23 CST 2021

My principal and I are brainstorming ideas for our library schedule in our K-5 elementary school (non-Covid times). Currently, each class visits the library for 30 minutes once per week. Since we have five sections of each grade, I see about 30 classes a week. I usually spend 10-15 minutes on a short lesson or read-aloud and then they have 15-20 minutes to choose books.

I want to know what you do (in non-Covid times)! Do you do a 30 minute lesson one week and then let them check out books every other week? Do you see classes for a longer/shorter amount of time each week? Are students able to come to the library during their free time to choose books? Do you do something completely different?

I'm open to any ideas as well as real-life experiences!

Thanks in advance!

Jaime Pirus
District Librarian
Reed-Custer Elementary School<https://www.rc255.net/RCIS/Pages/default.aspx>
Currently Reading: Greenglass House by Kate Milford