[aisle] RAILS & AISLE Award 14 My Library Is... Grants to School Libraries

Dan Bostrom dan.bostrom at railslibraries.info
Wed Mar 10 12:39:48 CST 2021

The Association for Illinois School Library Educators (AISLE) and the Reaching Across Illinois Libraries System (RAILS) announced that 14 projects have been selected to receive My Library Is... Grants for School Libraries. Despite announcing 10 possible awards, RAILS and AISLE were able to award all 14 applicants.

These grants provide an opportunity for libraries to focus on projects that help tell the library story and that increase visibility and support in schools. The projects that were awarded:

School/District

Project Name

Reed-Custer CUSD 225U

My Library Will Be...Current!

Woodland CUSD 5

Culture & Diversity Collection w/ Programming

Prospect Heights School District 23

Axis360

Lockport School District 91

KGTV Meets #KGLRC

Durand CUSD #322

There's a Library in Durand!?

Deerfield Public School District #109

Virtual Shepard Learning Commons

Zion School District 6

East Elementary School's NEW Dual Language Program

City of Chicago School District #299

My Library Is Inclusive

Woodland CCSD #50 - Woodland Middle School

A Beautiful MOSAIC Of Cultures!

Batavia High School

How Can We Help?

Kaneland High School

#KanelandReads

Deer Creek-Mackinaw CUSD #701

3-D for 3-P: Printing, Promoting, and Public Relations

Kankakee School District

KSD/KPL Young Author's Contest

Beach Park Community Consolidated School District 3

My Library Is... Moving Forward

"We were so impressed by the quality and creativity of the applications that after initially offering 10 possible grants, we chose to recognize all 14 applicants," said RAILS Executive Director Deirdre Brennan. "We know that this is a very difficult time for school libraries, but it's exciting to see school libraries come up with these projects that will undoubtedly make a positive impact on their schools and communities. We are thrilled to be able to offer these opportunities in collaboration with AISLE."

"One of the most enjoyable parts of reading these applications was getting to see the wide variety of projects," said AISLE Executive Secretary Carolyn Kinsella. "We saw school libraries take many different paths in how they approached telling their story. Many chose to incorporate foundational aspects of school librarianship such as increasing literacy, expanding access, and promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion. The constant theme in all of these applications was commitment to offering the best programs and services possible."

RAILS would like to thank the AISLE team responsible for evaluating the grant applications: Carolyn Kinsella, AISLE Executive Secretary; Mary Jo Matousek, AISLE President Elect, Amy Phillips, AISLE Grants Function Representative, and Lauren Ochs, AISLE Board of Directors.

For more information on these grants, please visit: https://www.railslibraries.info/services/my-library-grants

Dan Bostrom (he/him/his)
Member Engagement Manager
Reaching Across Illinois Library System