[aisle] Stop AAPI Hate

Elisa Gall elisamcclain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:41:59 CDT 2021

Dear AISLE colleagues,

I'm still processing the unspeakable events of this week and how they fit
into the history and present of white supremacy, anti-Asian racism, sexism,
domestic terrorism, and xenophobia in this country. The organization Stop
AAPI Hate  <https://stopaapihate.org/>recently released this report
<https://a1w.90d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/210312-Stop-AAPI-Hate-National-Report-.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0A1vmpAqEmKoc5qBkgqYeBuyuf1dTH-lp7dOc3G6Dby7kXu3kHT8-EkZY>
detailing
the horrifying increases in violence against Asian Americans and Pacific
Islanders in the past year. It's important for me to remember that
anti-Asian hate crimes and violence are not isolated to this pandemic or
moment in time, and that they are part of the long history of
discrimination against Asians and Asian Americans in the USA. I'm also
sitting with this comic shared yesterday by cartoonist and children's
author Gene Luen Yang <https://www.instagram.com/p/CMh-79oBfxw/>.

If any of you are interested in free bystander intervention training,
these sessions offered by Hollaback!
<https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention/> have been recommended
by ALA, ALSC, and the Chicago chapter of Asian Americans Advancing Justice.

Book lists are not always synonymous with anti-racist action
<https://www.vulture.com/2020/06/anti-racist-reading-lists-what-are-they-for.html>,
and at the same time as librarians I know they are always part of the
important work that we do!  In case any of you are working on book lists
celebrating Asian creators, today or any day, I wanted to share this padlet
<https://padlet.com/ucls/5wa16mps2tsa530e> of recommended #OwnVoices
picture books I made with a colleague. Of course, these books are for
everyone and we should be celebrating them all the time!

Hope you all are doing ok and taking care,
Elisa