[aisle] Stop AAPI Hate

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Thu Mar 18 08:50:16 CDT 2021

Thank you so much for sharing all of these resources!

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 8:42 AM Elisa Gall via AISLE <

> Dear AISLE colleagues,
>
> I'm still processing the unspeakable events of this week and how they fit
> into the history and present of white supremacy, anti-Asian racism, sexism,
> domestic terrorism, and xenophobia in this country. The organization Stop
> AAPI Hate  <https://stopaapihate.org/>recently released this report
> <https://a1w.90d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/210312-Stop-AAPI-Hate-National-Report-.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0A1vmpAqEmKoc5qBkgqYeBuyuf1dTH-lp7dOc3G6Dby7kXu3kHT8-EkZY> detailing
> the horrifying increases in violence against Asian Americans and Pacific
> Islanders in the past year. It's important for me to remember that
> anti-Asian hate crimes and violence are not isolated to this pandemic or
> moment in time, and that they are part of the long history of
> discrimination against Asians and Asian Americans in the USA. I'm also
> sitting with this comic shared yesterday by cartoonist and children's
> author Gene Luen Yang <https://www.instagram.com/p/CMh-79oBfxw/>.
>
> If any of you are interested in free bystander intervention training,
> these sessions offered by Hollaback!
> <https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention/> have been recommended
> by ALA, ALSC, and the Chicago chapter of Asian Americans Advancing Justice.
>
> Book lists are not always synonymous with anti-racist action
> <https://www.vulture.com/2020/06/anti-racist-reading-lists-what-are-they-for.html>,
> and at the same time as librarians I know they are always part of the
> important work that we do!  In case any of you are working on book lists
> celebrating Asian creators, today or any day, I wanted to share this
> padlet <https://padlet.com/ucls/5wa16mps2tsa530e> of recommended
> #OwnVoices picture books I made with a colleague. Of course, these books
> are for everyone and we should be celebrating them all the time!
>
> Hope you all are doing ok and taking care,
> Elisa

Thanks!
Nichole Folkman
K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
Creator and Director of Stags Read Community Literacy Program

Co-chair of the Lincoln Teen Readers' Choice Award

Scholastic Bowl Coach
Antler/ Staglite Advisor

she/ her/ hers

Check out my projects at