[aisle] Picture book about disabilities

Marsha Stewart mstewart at anconaschool.org
Thu Mar 18 16:17:36 CDT 2021

323.3 Pimentel
All the way to the top
how one girl's fight for Americans with disabilities changed everything
words by Annette Bay Pimentel ; pictures by Nabi H. Ali ; foreword by
Jennifer Keelan-Chaffins.
book
Bay Pimentel, Annette,
Ali, Nabi H.,
------------------------------

"Diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth, Jennifer Keelan grew up
battling-and overcoming-the limitations others set for her. From a lack of
cutaway curbs and bus lifts to being denied enrollment at her neighborhood
school, Jennifer was continually blocked from living the life she wanted.
But after discovering the world of disability rights activism, she knew she
had to use her voice to change things. When Jennifer was just eight years
old, she participated in the Capitol Crawl. The deeply affecting image of
Jennifer crawling up the steps of Capitol Hill went viral and helped
pressure Congress into passing the Americans with Disabilities Act. A
powerfully illustrated biography of Jennifer's life and a celebration of
youth activism, All the Way to the Top will teach all children that they
have the power to make a difference"--20190592249781492688976
Sourcebooks Explore,, Naperville, IL :, [2020]

------------------------------
921 Yeboah
Emmanuel's dream
the true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
by Laurie Ann Thompson ; illustrated by Sean Qualls.
book
Thompson, Laurie Ann.
Qualls, Sean,
------------------------------

Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah's inspiring true story. Born in Ghana, West Africa,
with one deformed leg, he was dismissed by most people—but not by his
mother, who taught him to reach for his dreams. As a boy, Emmanuel hopped
to school more than two miles each way, learned to play soccer, left home
at age thirteen to provide for his family, and, eventually, became a
cyclist. He rode an astonishing four hundred miles across Ghana in 2001,
spreading his powerful message: disability is not inability. Today,
Emmanuel continues to work on behalf of the disabled.20140057679780449817445
Schwartz & Wade Books,, New York :, 2015.

------------------------------
921 Fox
Terry Fox and me

Mary Beth Leatherdale, Milan Pavlovic.
book
Leatherdale, Mary Beth,
Pavlovic, Milan,
------------------------------

"Before Terry Fox become a national hero and icon, he was just a regular
kid. But even then, his characteristic strength, determination and loyalty
were apparent and were the foundation for his friendship with Doug. The two
first met at basketball tryouts in grammar school. Terry was the smallest -
and worst - basketball player on the court. But that didn't stop him. With
Doug's help, Terry practiced and practiced until he earned a spot on the
team. As they grew up, the best friends supported each other, challenged
each other, helped each other become better athletes and better people.
Doug was by Terry's side every step of the way: when Terry received a
diagnosis of cancer in his leg, when he was learning to walk - then run -
with a prosthetic leg and while he was training for the race of his life,
his Marathon of Hope. Written from Doug's perspective, this story shows
that Terry Fox's legacy goes beyond the physical and individual
accomplishments of a disabled athlete and honors the true value of
friendship"--20199558909780735267688
Tundra Books of Northern New York,, Plattsburgh :, 2020.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:03 PM Leslie Forsman via AISLE <

*Marsha Stewart*
*Librarian*

The Ancona School <http://www.anconaschool.org/>

4770 S. Dorchester Ave.

Chicago, IL 60615

mstewart at anconaschool.org <frede at anconaschool.org>

--

 <http://anconaschool.org>

4770 S. Dorchester • Chicago IL 60615
P:
773.924.2356 F: 773.924.8905
anconaschool.org <http://anconaschool.org>
<https://twitter.com/theanconaschool>
<https://www.facebook.com/The-Ancona-School-186226609670/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
information that is privileged or confidential. If you are the intended
recipient, please read and then delete this email and any attachments. If
you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and any
attachments and notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this
email. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure,
error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions that arise as a result.​