[aisle] [External Sender] Re: Hit: Diversity Audits for books and materials (so far...πŸ˜ƒ)

Kendra Hodgson Newton knewton at emsd37.org
Wed May 12 07:07:35 CDT 2021

I also would love to be involved in something like this. I also will not be
available on June 3 or 4, but it isn't about me.

Has anyone tackled a project like this that is not a Destiny school, or
does not buy the bulk of their materials from Follett? I often see them
mentioned as a good way to get started and wondered if there was another
way.

Sincerely,

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37
3100 7th St.
East Moline, IL 61244
Phone: 309-755-1919 ext. 233

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 9:00 PM Kelly Davis via AISLE <

> I'd love to join in the conversation as well, but I'll be out of town that
> week. Let me know if there is another time.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Kelly Davis
> Learning Resource Center Director
> Cossitt Avenue School
> 708-215-6218
>

> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 3:43 PM Neha Thakkar via AISLE <
>
>> Here are the responses I received. Thank you all for your input! Also,
>> multiple people requested to start a Zoom or other discussion. If you are
>> interested, can you share your best time for June
>> <https://doodle.com/poll/5387mnedu5k6nir4?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link> (CST
>> time)? I'll review and send out a date, time, links once we have a
>> consensus in the poll.
>>
>> My original query:
>> We are continuing our work around DEI and I'd like to start some
>> conversations and provide resources around a diversity audit. Any great
>> checklists, articles, podcasts, videos, etc? I know it was presented a
>> couple years ago at a ISACS conference/meeting, and I'd love updated
>> materials. Thank you!
>> ---
>> ---
>> I led one of those groups for LMAIS and I've learned so much since then.
>> School Library Journal has offered a series of classes: I learned so
>> much during the 15 hour class entitled, "Equity in Actions: Building
>> Diverse Collections," and it was extremely helpful. I had done one last
>> year on how to conduct a diversity audit. By the way, I didn't do the whole
>> diversity audit because I didn't feel it would be the best use of my time
>> with 3 days a week and no parents entering the building, even library
>> volunteers. I've developed what I feel is a really good collection of
>> diverse books by following School LIbrary Journals and articles, along with
>> author websites, but I'm sure you're all doing that, too. There have been
>> some especially good ones.
>> This site is amazing:
>> https://diversebooks.org/resources-old/where-to-find-diverse-books/
>> This site includes links to many other sites, and that is
>> an understatement.
>>
>> I get emails from Colors of Us and Brighty, but I don't recommend them. I
>> look at them, but they'll have amazing books interspersed with Berenstein
>> Bears and The Muppets and Little Golden Books. They aren't librarians, but
>> you can find interesting titles and find reviews in SLJ.
>>
>> We did have people answer in a survey, "What languages other than English
>> are spoken in your home by adults or children?" ...  We now have at least
>> one book that represents each of 60 languages. Cataloging something I
>> couldn't read and trying to find Dewey numbers were challenging, but I'm
>> very pleased. Up until the pandemic, I had parents who spoke a particular
>> language, but, well, then there's the pandemic. I'll have them help as soon
>> as I can to add and clean up the records, but that means I am sitting with
> [...]

This is a staff email account managed by East Moline School District 37.Β