[aisle] TAR MID: title ideas

Kendra Hodgson Newton knewton at emsd37.org
Wed May 12 07:23:02 CDT 2021

In our grades 6-8 we use SpringBoard as our ELA curriculum. We, as I am
sure with a lot of other districts, are really making a concerted effort to
think about the readings we use in that curriculum, and making sure that it
has depth and breadth in terms of representation,

That being said, the 6th grade and 8th grade have asked me for lists of
titles they can use instead of what they have. I have been working on
lists, but thought I would reach out and get ideas from others.

6th grade would like a replacement for Walk Two Moons that speaks to our
student body. They want to start small.

8th grade has decided to jump in with both feet and do a deep dive. They
are looking for: articles, short stories, or novels on any of the following
themes:

   - heroes/heroism (hero's journey)
   - utopias
   - making a difference (we do a lot of changemaker biographies on this,
   and I have been doing a considerable amount of buying to broaden the scope
   of this one)
   - comedy (they do have Shakespeare in this one)

If you have ideas I would love to hear them. I will continue to work on the
lists. I have a pretty good start. If people are interested, I can post a
hit as well.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sincerely,

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37
3100 7th St.
East Moline, IL 61244
Phone: 309-755-1919 ext. 233

--

This is a staff email account managed by East Moline School District 37.