[aisle] 1:1--Loaners from Library

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Thu Nov 4 11:47:16 CDT 2021

We had the exact same issues, Renee.  As a staff (important that we are ALL
on the same page...), we decided that there was an EXPECTATION that
students would come to school with a charged machine, but that students
would also be expected to BRING THEIR CORDS with them to school.
* At the elementary:* 5th & 6th grade teachers will give a warning if
students forget to bring a charged Chromebook.  Gather enough warnings and
you serve a detention.  If, by chance, a student doesn't have a cord with
him/her, the first option is to borrow from a friend for an hour.
Otherwise, a student can stop by the library where we have a charging
station.  And no, we have too many classrooms so we cannot provide a
charging station in every room. We  will issue a loaner until the machine
is charged.  Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we loan cords. (That was an
expensive lesson to learn!) If the entire Chromebook was forgotten at home,
we do give loaners, but you can only get a loaner 3 times in a semester
before the teacher will call and chat with a parent.

*At the junior-senior high:* We just say, "Sorry!" (It is amazing how fast
those freshly-minted JH kids realize that we are serious and will not give
them a loaner!) No loaners, no cords.  But we do have a charging station
and we'll deliver your Chromebook back to you. If your machine needs
repair, then and only then will you be issued with a loaner machine.

It took us a couple of years to "get tough", but once we did, it has worked
like a charm.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 8:38 AM Renee Kozeal via AISLE <

> Hello,
> We have found our way into a 1:1 program over the last year and are
> struggling with students who don't come with a charged machine every day.
> For now, we are checking out daily loaners to students who have issues or
> who show up without a charged machine. We are finding several students who
> are habitually using loaners instead of bringing the 1:1 that they were
> issued. How does your school handle this? What are the rules/processes at
> your schools for students who don't show up with a charged machine?
>
> I would appreciate any help you can provide!
>
> --
> Renee Kozeal
> School Librarian
> Varsity Scholastic Bowl Coach