[aisle] Dungeons and Dragons Books

Toner, Timothy tgtoner at cps.edu
Fri Nov 5 09:18:38 CDT 2021

Things have changed radically in the last few years since Fifth Edition
came out, because so much of the content that was buried in books is now
readily available online.  My public library growing up (Westmont, IL) had
the three "core books" for D&D, and I checked them out regularly, but in
order to play the game, you needed access to the rules, as each component
of play added complexity.  Fortunately, in the intervening years the
ruleset has been vastly simplified, so a rulebook is not absolutely
necessary.  All that being said, I think that one set of rulebooks will
never be enough,.

In my library, I have purchased several copies of the starter set, and have
set them up to be circulated. This has enough of the rules to scratch that
itch.  There's also something called the Open Gaming License and the System
Reference Document (OGL and SRD).  This is a version of the rules with most
of the trademarked content removed.  As it is impossible to copyright a
ruleset (see Monopoly as an example), Wizards of the Coast has allowed the
SRD to be widely distributed.  I can easily see you printing out multiple
copies of the PDF, putting them in a three ring binder, and circulating
that.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

https://www.5esrd.com/

https://5thsrd.org/

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

tt

Timothy Toner
Librarian
John Hancock College Prep HS
5437 West 64th Pl
Chicago, IL 60638
773-535-2410
he | him | his
*Omnes mundum facimus*

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 8:57 AM Andrea Perrin via AISLE <