[aisle] [External] School Board Meeting In Downers Grove

Joan Bessman Taylor joan.taylor at uni.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:15:20 CST 2021

Just for context I can share that this is happening across the State of
Iowa as well. It is an organized political agenda that matches the
censorship attempts that occurred during the 1950's. Note that those
objecting to particular titles (there is a master list of "objectionable
titles" floating around) often aren't even parents of kids the age of the
books' audiences. And they often take examples out of context without
considering the work as a whole. There is a difference between books used
in the classroom (which can be viewed as compulsory) and those included
among library collections (where students are free to pick and choose what
they read). Ironically the objectors are using a platform of alleged
violations to intellectual freedom when limiting intellectual freedom is
precisely what they are attempting. Libraries have Collection Policies for
a reason :)

Please continue to advocate for the freedom to read for all young and
highlight the strategies you teach students for selecting a book that is
right for them.
Respectfully,
Joan
Joan Bessman Taylor (she/her)

Associate Professor, MEd, MLIS, PhD

Program Coordinator - School Library Studies <http://www.uni.edu/sls>
Curriculum and Instruction

joan.taylor at uni.edu / 319-273-2192

SEC 611  /  Cedar Falls, IA 50614

<https://coe.uni.edu>

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 1:32 PM Rademacher, Kristen via AISLE <