[aisle] High School Book Club

Jennifer Siemann jsiemann at lw210.org
Thu Nov 18 11:45:31 CST 2021

I've done a variety of things for my book club over the years.

One year we selected a book for each semester and participated in, assisted with, and ran activities/programs related to the book.  Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick we focused on anti-bullying and suicide prevention.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green we focused on Childhood Cancer Awareness and collected pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House Charities, collected and donated toys for the Pediatric Oncology Treasure Chest Foundation, Pennies for Patients, etc.

One year my students completed a "Triple-Threat Challenge" where they selected a fiction, memoir/biography, and a non-fiction book to read within the year.  All three books had to have a similar theme.  For example, one student read This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp, Choosing Hope: Moving forward through life's darkest hours by Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis, and Columbine by Dave Cullen.  Another student read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, All But My Life by Gerda Weissman Klein, and Born Survivors: Three young mothers and their extraordinary story of courage, defiance, and hope by Wendy Holden.

Throughout the year we would do different activities, crafts, games, run discussions, a fundraiser, book talks, promote reading and highlight books we've read.  Every year is different depending on the group of students.

Jennifer A. Siemann

 Lincoln-Way East High School

        Media Center Director
                   815-464-4535
                jsiemann at lw210.org<mailto:jsiemann at lw210.org>

Confidentiality Notice:   All information pertaining to this email contains confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named in the header text. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this emailed information except its direct delivery to the person named above is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify jsiemann at lw210.org<mailto:jsiemann at lw210.org> immediately by replying to this email and delete all copies of this message.  This message is protected by applicable legal privileges and is confidential.