[aisle] Advice on Weeding an ancient collection.....

Kristie Cerniglia kcerniglia at district31.net
Mon Nov 22 14:26:23 CST 2021

I was in the same situation a couple years ago.  I ended up weeding most of
the books in those sections as they were full of dated information.  I have
small selections in those areas, but the students find most of their
science information online so they don't seem to miss the books too much.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Dawn Scuderi via AISLE <

> Hi All,
>
> So my nonfiction collection is super old... like Titlewave says the
> average age of 500 and 600 is 1994.
>
> I really need to weed it but it is going to mean removing 90% of the
> collection.  I won a grant for books (THANKS LBSS!!) and will be getting
> about 75 new titles, but they are just going to be lost in this mess if I
> don't remove the old stuff.
>
> My question is this:  Do I pick a year like 2000 and remove everything
> earlier than that (about 1/2) or should I just scrap it all?  The previous
> librarian had bought 11 science books in the last 10 years....
>
> This is not the only Dewey section that has to be weeded.. the whole
> collection is terrible.  I am just starting with Science and Technology.
>
> Any help would be awesome,
>
> Dawn

Mrs. Kristie Cerniglia
kcerniglia at district31.net
@kcernig1
847-313-4466
LMC Director
Field Middle School

*If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're
right! - Henry Ford*