[aisle] Challenges to PRIDE: the story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag

Brianne Risley brisley at camraiders.com
Tue Oct 12 15:46:28 CDT 2021

I showed a book trailer for this book, along with many of the other
Bluestem books, to my 2nd and 3rd grade classes a few weeks ago. I had 1
parent very upset and blasted me on Facebook about it. She took the
information straight from her child, and didn't take an opportunity to
reach out to me to discuss what happened that day. The parent then called
and spoke to my principal the next day to discuss how upset she was by my
sharing this book with the kids. She didn't press the issue further, she
just didn't want her 2nd grader getting sex ed. *Eye roll* Clearly learning
the history of the PRIDE flag is more than I thought. That's my experience
so far. This parent was very unkind online, but was fine with my principal.
I have the book available for checkout and it is checked out all the time.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM Christine Wilson via AISLE <

Brianne Risley
Gregory Intermediate Librarian
Central A&M School District