[aisle] Comic book bags that can handle the abuse of a middle schooler

Holtz, Alan C. (BMS) holtzac at vvsd.org
Thu Oct 14 13:27:07 CDT 2021

Good afternoon one and all,

In my younger years, I would always be at the comic book store on Thursday after school. Thursdays were when the new comic books came in. Over the years, I would place thousands of my comic books in plastic comic book bags. I still remember my mother telling an upset Mrs. Grove, my math teacher in 6th grade that caught me reading comics in her pre-algebra class, “If it wasn’t for comic books, that boy would never have learned to read.” To this day, numerous boxes are still in my basement. Well, last year, we won a grant to bring comic books into our school library. I’m not talking graphic novels, but actual trade comic books. Whoot! Whoot! These things are a hot commodity in our library. The 273 individual comics already have 600 circulations.

Here’s the problem. The comic books are holding up better than I thought, but the comic book bags are dying fast. I tried using the collector grade comic book bags. Needless to say, these bags are more for storage and display than circulation. The Comic Pro Line Bags failed miserably in the hands of middle schoolers. That brand only made it about 2 circulations before it split at the seams. The BCW Resealable Comic Book Bags are fairing better. These are making to the 3rd or 4th reader, but still are giving up too quickly.

Does anyone out there circulate comic books? If so, what brand of comic book bags are you using?

Thanks,
Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School

This message is for named person(s) only. It may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost should mis-transmission occur. If you receive this message in error, delete it (and all copies) and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Valley View Public School District 365U reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to the views of any such entity.  This e-mail has been virus and content scanned by Valley View Public School District 365U.