[aisle] Library helpers in middle school

Tasha Squires tsquires at dg58.org
Wed Sep 8 15:04:22 CDT 2021

Hi!

Congrats on having so many that want to work and help in the library!

I used to have helped a while back and I would give them all a shelving
test to see if they actually knew how to shelve. I suppose you could do
that. I used it to help me teach them how to do it properly if they didn't
know how.

I only used them for shelving and if students were asking for
recommendations, and they could help them find the books on the shelf.

I hesitate to let them help with checking out only because of privacy
issues, esp. with middle school and high school where some of the topics
can get personal.

Maybe for those extra kids you could have them help out at special events
if you have any in the library. I run our book fair and helpers then would
be great.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time with them!
Tasha

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM DeForest, Carrie via AISLE <

> Hi! I have students assigned to me during our homeroom period, so I am
> going to try having library helpers (2 per day) to help with checking
> in/out during that time. I'll also come up with some other tasks.
>
> I was hoping to have 5 helpers, but I had over 35 apply so far! I can
> probably train 10 or so and rotate so each partner group gets 1 day per
> week.
>
> My question is... has anyone had to pick and choose before? How did you go
> about this, if so?
>
> Thanks for any insight!
>
> Carrie DeForest
> Roselle D12

Tasha Squires
O'Neill Middle School
School Librarian
tsquires at dg58.org
(630) 719-5815

Author of Library Partnerships: Making Connections Between School and
Public Libraries, 2009, Information Today, Inc.