[aisle] Standards Alignment Project HELP

Renee Brown brownr at cusd305.org
Mon Sep 13 10:55:16 CDT 2021

Illinois Library Teachers,
I need help with the standards, please.

My district is having all teachers work on aligning the standards among the
grade levels. They are having us unpack the standards by identifying the
nuances between grade levels and prioritizing specific standards. For my
own evaluations, I have been using AASL Standards Framework or Learners
(2018).

I'm getting confused. I am being asked to unpack the standards by grade
level. As far as I can tell, the library standards are not broken down by
grade levels like Common Core ELA or Math standards. The only tool that *breaks
down standards by grade level *is I-SAIL by providing Library Benchmarks
and Library Objectives but its standards are different than AASL standards
or the National Library Standards. See the example below:

1ST GRADE

Standard 1 - Access information efficiently and effectively to inquire,
think critically, and gain knowledge

   -

   Recognize the need for information
   -

   Formulate questions based on information needs
   -

   Identify various potential sources of information
   -

   Develop and use successful strategies for locating information
   -

   Seek information from diverse sources

LIBRARY BENCHMARKS

   1.

   Locate parts of a book
   2.

   Understand basic organizational pattern of library

LIBRARY OBJECTIVES

   1.

   Identify the difference between fiction and nonfiction
   2.

   Locate picture books and easy books on the shelves
   3.

   Locate groups of nonfiction on the shelves
   4.

   May use library catalog to locate books

Please help me understand why these (printed) standards differ from each
other.

AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ymkSuUW3U99n0YzoS8Lg70oBwEqvzLLE/view?usp=sharing>
(2007) - pdf

   1. Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge
   2. Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new
   situations, and create new knowledge.
   3. Share knowledge and participate ethically and productively as members
   of our democratic society.
   4. Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

AASL Standards Framework for Learners
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fstandards.aasl.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGhRSuVx1Z00LnyCe-JGPov2Co4gQ>
(2018)

   1. Inquire
   2. Include
   3. Collaborate
   4. Curate
   5. Explore
   6. Engage

AASL Crosswalks
<https://standards.aasl.org/project/crosswalks/https://standards.aasl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/180828-aasl-standards-crosswalk-future-ready.pdf>

When I look at the crosswalks, it references the National School Library
Standards that don't match the AASL or I-SAIL standards.

*National School Library Standards* - Where can I find a link to these
(other than the Crosswalk)?

   1. Learners display curiosity and initiative by:
   1. Formulating questions about a personal interest or a curricular topic.
   2. Recalling prior and background knowledge as context for new
   meaning.
   2. etc.

I-SAIL (2018)
<https://www.aisled.org/isail.htm#:~:text=%C2%A0-,2018%20ISAIL,-ISAIL%20Task%20Force>

   1. Access information efficiently and effectively to inquire, think
   critically, and gain knowledge
   2.

   Evaluate information critically and competently
   3.

   Use information accurately, creatively, and ethically to share knowledge
   and to participate collaboratively and productively as a member of a
   democratic society
   4.

   Appreciate literature and other creative expressions of thoughts and
   ideas and pursue knowledge related to personal interests and aesthetic
   growth
   5.

   Understand and practice Internet safety when using any electronic media
   for educational, social, or recreational purposes

*Is I-SAIL outdated? *
*Are the National School Library Standards different than the AASL
Standards Framework for Learners?*
*Which standards provide grade-level distinction?*

*Thank you for your guidance.*

*Renee Brown*
District Librarian

*Computer Teacher*
*AHGS Learn and Serve Team Coordinator*Arthur CUSD #305
217-578-2229

[image: See the source image]

*Class of 2011*

The mission of the Arthur CUSD #305 is to provide a united student-based
community that engages in working together to inspire lifelong learners. An
environment that educates all students to their full potential while
developing character, leadership, self-worth, empowering each student to
meet the challenges of the future.

The mission of the *Arthur CUSD #305 Libraries* is to meet the individual
educational, emotional, and recreational needs of students, faculty, and
staff; to teach students to locate, analyze, and use information
effectively; to provide equitable access to a collection of resources that
enrich and support the curriculum of the district; and to collaborate with
members of the district’s learning community and local communities to
promote lifelong learning.