[aisle] English canon alternatives

Tasha Squires tsquires at dg58.org
Tue Sep 14 12:49:42 CDT 2021

Some great titles have already been mentioned!

A few others to think about:

Radium Girls by Kate Moore(Just to show women's history)
Black Kids by Christina Reed (Black experience)
All American Muslim Girl by Nadine Courtney (Muslim)
A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Taheren Mafi (Muslim)
Something In Between  by  Melissa Dela Cruz (Latinx)
Stamped - either the adult version of the young adult version by Ibram X.
Kendi (Black History/American History)
Midnight Without a Moon by Linda Williams Jackson (Black history - relating
to the murder of Emmett Till
This Side of Home by Renee Watson (Black experince)
How To Be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters (bi-racial/gay/adopted experience)
*The Night Diary* by Veera Hiranandani (Hindu and Muslim) might be a bit
more for younger readers
Karma by Cathy Ostlere (Hindu and Sikh)
*A Land of Permanent Goodbyes* by Atia Abawi (Syrian Refugees and Muslim)
*Saints and Misfits* by S.K. Ali (Muslim)
*The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind* by William Kamkwamb and Bryan Mealer
(African experience)
The Bite of the Mango by  Mariatu Kamara (African experience)

Okay, I'll stop! :)

Have a great day everyone!
Tasha

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Flaherty, Megan via AISLE <

Tasha Squires
O'Neill Middle School
School Librarian
tsquires at dg58.org
(630) 719-5815

Author of Library Partnerships: Making Connections Between School and
Public Libraries, 2009, Information Today, Inc.