[aisle] External: [Possible Malware Fraud] IL Family Reading Night

Matheis, Bonnie BMatheis at ILSOS.GOV
Wed Sep 15 11:50:13 CDT 2021

Hi Rikki,

I don’t know if anyone has responded to your email yet. Just in case they haven’t, you might want to consider a book from Illinois READS<http://illinoisreads.org/home.html> for your all school read.

Illinois Reads was introduced by the Illinois Reading Council in March 2013. The initiative encourages people to read books by Illinois authors. Each year, the program offers a new list of books at six different age levels – birth through adult. Illinois Reads kicks off in March and concludes on Family Reading Night, a program of the Illinois Secretary of State and Illinois Center for the Book. Most school age books have Teacher Guides<http://illinoisreads.org/teacherguides.html> available on the website too.

KINDERGARTEN – GRADE 4 2020 – 2021 TITLES and potential themes include:

·       K-2
Jasper & Ollie by Alex Willan (*Animals, Friendship)
Just Read! by Lori Degman (*Libraries, Friendship)
My Teacher is a Robot by Jeffrey Brown (*School Issues)
Oak Leaf by John Sandford (*Weather)
Sofia Valdez, Future Prez by Andrea Beaty (*Self Esteem, Multi-Generational)
This Is How I Do It: One Day in the Life of You and 59 Real Kids from Around the World by Matt Lamothe (*Exploring the World)

·       3-5
Cape – The League of Secret Heroes, Book One by Kate Hannigan (*Superheroes)
Captain Superlative! by J.S. Puller (*Bullies, Superhero)
The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street by Lindsay Currie (*Mystery, Friendship)
The Superlative A. Lincoln: Poems About Our 16th President by Eileen R. Meyer (*Poetry)
Time Castaways #1: The Mona Lisa Key by Liesl Shurtliff (*Time Travel)
Weird Little Robots by Carolyn Crimi (*Science and Nature)

The Book Lists and Teacher Guides from previous years are also available on the Illinois READS website.

I hope this information is helpful, Rikki –

Bonnie Matheis| Coordinator, Illinois Center for the Book
Illinois State Library|Gwendolyn Brooks Building
300 South Second Street| Springfield, Illinois 62701
P 217-558-2065| F 217-782-1877
bmatheis at ilsos.gov<mailto:bmatheis at ilsos.gov>

Jesse White, Secretary of State and State Librarian

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/center_for_the_book