[aisle] Are there still middle school libraries?

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Tue Aug 23 15:50:55 CDT 2022

My 6-8 teachers specifically requested that their students get library time
this year. We're struggling to schedule it, since I'm for the whole
district, but they saw a need and we're going to find a way to make it
work. If anyone asked if we had a "middle school library" or "library
time," from the outside, it definitely wouldn't look like it because of how
our school and schedule are structured.

I'm so sad that's what they're looking at doing at your school! Encouraging
kids to go to the public library is great, but if they don't have the
support of a school library or school librarian, they won't
necessarily know the value of a library or how to use one, and some kids
may not have the ability to get to the public library!

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 3:46 PM Kleckner, Stephanie via AISLE <

> Hi friends!
> I was told that this is highly likely the last year for our middle school
> library. My principal said that she needs the space and wants to turn it
> into 2 classrooms. She said she asked around our area and a lot of middle
> schools don't have "library time" anymore. She also stated that they would
> divide all the library books between the classrooms and encourage students
> to go to the public library. So, are middle school libraries still a thing?
> How many of you have thriving middle school libraries?
> Thanks!
> Stephanie Kleckner
> Library Media Teacher
> Mendota Dist. #289
>
> This message is for the designated recipient and may contain privileged,
> proprietary or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
> error, please notify the sender immediately.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

Thanks!
Nichole Folkman
K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
Creator and Director of Stags Read Community Literacy Program
Stags Read Twitter- @StagsRead
Creator of Postcard Field Trip Curriculum
www.postcardfieldtrip.weebly.com

Co-Chair of the AISLE Readers Choice Awards

Scholastic Bowl Coach
Antler/ Staglite Advisor

she/ her/ hers

Check out my projects at