[aisle] [External Sender] Are there still middle school libraries?

Kendra Hodgson Newton knewton at emsd37.org
Tue Aug 23 15:55:57 CDT 2022

I am a middle school librarian (grades 5-8). I saw 300 students today
alone! When I really get rolling, I can see upwards of 400+ students a day.
Some classes (5th grade) I see every week. The other grades usually are
every other week, but when I need to do a lesson on a specific service
(Comics Plus, Sora, etc. I schedule them in outside of that every other
time frame.

Asking them to visit the public library is fabulous, but (at least in my
case), we have students who live in an area of town that they can't get a
public library card. Or their family just cannot get them to the public
library. Our library truly is the only access point they have to get free
reading books.

Sincerely,

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37
3100 7th St.
East Moline, IL 61244
Phone: 309-755-1919 ext. 233

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 3:46 PM Kleckner, Stephanie via AISLE <

> Hi friends!
> I was told that this is highly likely the last year for our middle school
> library. My principal said that she needs the space and wants to turn it
> into 2 classrooms. She said she asked around our area and a lot of middle
> schools don't have "library time" anymore. She also stated that they would
> divide all the library books between the classrooms and encourage students
> to go to the public library. So, are middle school libraries still a thing?
> How many of you have thriving middle school libraries?
> Thanks!
> Stephanie Kleckner
> Library Media Teacher
> Mendota Dist. #289
>
> This message is for the designated recipient and may contain privileged,
> proprietary or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
> error, please notify the sender immediately.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

This is a staff email account managed by East Moline School District 37.